DLL Tournament Program
Post-Season Tournament Teams
Updated Tuesday May 8, 2018 by Downtown Little League.
In addition to the regular season slate of games, children ages 9-12 for baseball and 7-14 for softball are also eligible to compete in post-season Tournament play (baseball and softball). For those of you not familiar with Tournament play, it is essentially Little League’s version of All-Star teams.
Consideration is primarily based on skills and on-field performance, in addition to other considerations including regular season attendance and availability for the tournament games. PLEASE NOTE THAT OUR POST-SEASON TOURNAMENT PROGRAM IS SEPARATE AND DISTINCT FROM MEMORIAL DAY, WHICH IS ESSENTIALLY A 3-4 DAY EVENT LIMITED TO 4-5 TEAMS FROM NEIGHBORING LITTLE LEAGUE PROGRAMS.
DLL fields two baseball teams – a 10u team comprised primarily of 9 and 10 year olds and a 12u comprised primarily of 11 and 12 year olds (and two to three softball teams of multiple ages) - to compete against other area tournament teams. Our DLL teams have fared well over the past several years generating greater visibility and interest in this aspect of our program.
Given the very significant growth of both our baseball and softball programs over the past several years, The DLL Board has redesigned the Tournament program to provide more structure and transparency around the planning, player selection and general administration of the tournament program. This includes players assessments for each our baseball tournament teams, which will be by invitation only, as we do not have the resources for an open player assessment.
Additional details of our BASEBALL tournament program are provided below:
- Tournament Committee – consists of DLL President, Vice President(s) Player Agent and relevant Division Coordinators. Responsible for selection of Tournament Director(s), Coaches and team rosters and other matters as required.
- Tournament Director (s) – will be responsible for all administrative aspects of the program including recommending coaches and team rosters, player assessments, compliance with official Little League rules governing tournament play and other required activities. The Tournament Director(s) will be appointed by the Tournament Committee. NOTE: In the absence of a Tournament Director, the Tournament Committee will assume associated responsibilities.
- Tournament Coaches – may be involved in player assessments and recommendation of team rosters. Tournament Coaches will be nominated by Tournament Directors and approved by Tournament Committee
- Age is determined based on a player’s age as determined during registration for the current season. A player that is 12 as of April 30th and turns 13 on May 15th is eligible to play on the 12u team
- Players must have verified addresses within the DLL catchment and verified age (date of birth)
- Players must have attended at least 60% of games through June 15th
- Players must be available to participate in the post-season tournament schedule
Player Assessments and Selection of Team Roster
- Majors, AAA and AA coaches will submit the names of players to be considered for the formal Player Assessments. These submissions will be provided to the Tournament Director, who will review and propose final list to Tournament Committee. The Tournament Director and the Tournament Committee can extend additional invitations at their sole discretion.
- The Tournament Director will advise all players that have been approved to participate in the Player Assessments
- 2 Player Assessments will be held for the 10u team.
- 2 Player Assessments will be held for the 12u team.
- Players are strongly encouraged to participate in both sessions and are required to participate in at least one of the scheduled sessions.
- The Tournament Coaches and Director will evaluate the players and submit a recommended roster to the Selection Committee for review and approval
- It is expected that each team will consist of 12-15 players.
- The final Team Rosters can be communicated as of June 1
This article has No Comments.
You must be a member of the League and logged in to
post comments. Login here.