Softball Resources for Coaches, Parents, and Players
Updated Thursday January 10, 2019 by Downtown Little League.
Coaches, Parents, and Players,
The softball coaching and skills resources linked on this page are some of the best available in the sport of fast pitch softball (and baseball) in the world. Much of the content is shared free of charge by coaches from various levels including college, professional, and MLB who are passionate about growing the game, giving back, and making the sport better. We encourage you to use and learn as much as possible and hope that it helps on your journey in this great sport.
"Always compare anything anyone tells you about hitting (pitching, fielding, etc) to lots of slow motion video of the best in the world." - Hanson principle
MUST LISTEN & WATCH FOR COACHES
Kyle Wagner is a former MLB draft pick who coached at the college Division I level, won the US championship with a little league team, and ran and trained one of the top travel baseball programs in the country out of PA. While his talks are focused on baseball, the insights are extremely relevant to softball. It provides great perspective into the mindset & behavior changes we may need as coaches to help in the athletic development process of our girls. We hope you find it transformational.
- On Character & Perspective (the Why) - Playlist link
- On Feedback - Playlist link
- On Competence (the What) - Playlist link
- Changing the Game Project - Blog and information on becoming a better and more effective coach
- Life in the Fastpitch Lane - Blog about various coaching topics and skills by Ken Krause, a longtime softball coach
- ABCA Podcast - Weekly podcast with various college and professional coaches on various topics in baseball from offense, defense to mental game and athlete development
- Driveline Baseball Podcast - Weekly podcast on advanced athlete training driven by data
- Junior Minors Practice Plans - Weekly practice plan and drills developed for tee ball that can be adapted and used for Junior Minor softball. Video of drills are at the bottom of the page in this link.
- Minors Practice Plans - Weekly practice plan and drills developed for coach pitch baseball that can be adapted and used for Minors softball
- Important Points About Softball Pitching - 3 videos that give some of simplest but most important points about pitching that many instructors don't understand by Rich Balswick, an All American mens fastpitch pitcher and renowned pitching instructor
- Pitching Misnomers -
- Pitching Basics from House of Pitching - Some free & easy to learn/understand videos by Bill Hillhouse, a well known international mens faspitch softball pitcher & instructor, current pitcing coach at Providence College
- Slow Motion Pitching Videos - provided courtesy of Rick Pauly, former pitching coach for USC Upstate, Univ of Georgia, and Team USA
- Introduction to Internal Rotation - Key to understanding how softball pitching actually works with regards to arm rotation
- Understanding Movement Pitch Releases - Video examples of release and grip for various movement pitches
- Tincher Pitching Weekly Blog - Covers more of the mental side and process of pitching improvements, by Denny Tincher, father and instructor of Angela Tincher, a former Collegiate Player of the Year pitcher
- Paisley Pitching - Lots of great pitching drills daily
- High Level Throwing Manual - Guide on proper throwing mechanics and basic arm care prepared by Austin Wasserman for DLL softball with videos & voiceover instruction
- Pitching GIFs - Online library of pitching / throwing motion of hundreds of baseball pitchers maintained by Rob Friedman, aka PitchingNinja. Good for seeing the mechanics and how the hardest throwers throw.
- FridayFielders - By Kainoa Correa, Minor League Infield coach for the Cleveland Indians, who presents great examples of drills and throw catch routine to incorpoarte into practice warmups and how they translate into game results. The ABCA presentation is praticularly insightful.
- Morgan Stuart Defense & Agility - Former University of Washing infielder Morgan Stuart provides many examples of infield and throwing drills for softball, suitable for variety of ages. Can also follow her instagram for more content.
- Trotsky Baseball - Fielding drills and explanations by Nate Trotsky, a nationally reknowned fielding instructor
- Winning Baseball - Fielding drills and warmup throwing routines presented by Trent Mongero and Boston Red Sox hitting coach Tim Hyers. Particularly, see video on "20 most important minutes of practice." Accompanying description is here.
- JT Maguire - Cleveland Indians Outfield Coach who offers a ton of free drills in developing outfielders
- Fielding Video Library - Clips of throwing and fielding in normal speed and slow motion of different types of plays.
- Catching Video Library - Good and bad examples of catchers receiving & throwing to various bases by Coach Michael Lonsdale
- Jen Schro Catching - Former UCLA catcher Jen Schroeder shows and presents catching drills and competitions used to develop numerous college level catchers. Follow her instagram for more content as well
- Cox Softball Training - Softball catcher specific training by Kristen Cox, remote and online training available
- Softball Hitting GIFS - Video library of College and Olympic softball hitters from multiple angles, drills, and baseball vs softball swing comparisons. Courtesy of Carlton Sanders, Assistant Softball Coach at UTSA and past volunteer assistant for Florida State.
- Pattern & Sequence - Video library with examples of hitter's movements separated into pre pitch release and post pitch release for better understanding of proper timing courtesy of @noontimebaseball. Main GIF library here or at the website.
- Lind & Hyatt Hitting Library - Largest online collection of hitting resources and video clips of MLB baseball swings from multiple angles sorted by hitter and pitch type. Made possible by hard work of Dustin Lind, Seattle Mariners Minor League Quality Assurance coach, and Craig Hyatt.
- Cody Atkinson Resources - Collection of drills/videos for hitting as well as catching, infield play, charts, workouts, and mental game, etc. Made possible by Cody Atkinson, Head Coach at Centralia College
- FirecrackerNJ Softball - Presents great video and breakdowns of high level softball swings, presented by Daniel Nicolaisen, assistant softball coach at Seton Hall University
- StanceDoctor - Great hitting clips, mix of baseball and softball, from a FL facility
- BaseballRebellion - Hitting instruction from a premier facility in NC
- Softball Strength Academy - Run by two former Alabama players Cassie Reilly-Boccia and Ryan Iamurri, offers great content on slapping and general hitting
General / Assorted Skills
- The Packaged Deal -
- One Softball - Free softball resources developed and compiled by Sue Enquist, Hall of Fame UCLA softball coach
- Softball University -
- Coaches Directory Drill Collection - Full of up to date content/drills from college softball
- National Coaching Clinics - Coaching clinic videos by Canada baseball presented by Major & Minor League baseball coaches. Extremely detailed and comprehensive
- Johnny Wholestaff - Compilation of free coaching resources by a number of college and amateur coaches. Includes drills, game charts, practice plans, and more!
- USA Baseball Free Course Catalog - Coaching resources developed by USA baseball
- Little League University - Coaching resources developed by little league
- USA Baseball High School Baseball Coaching Manual -
- USA Baseball Mobile Coach - Free tool from USA baseball with drills and practice plans
- USA Baseball Amateur Resource Center - Tons of free resources & content for parents & coaches
We are not affiliated or endorsed by any of the retailers listed. They are listed because they either offer great value on softball equipment or have a very comprehensive catalog.
- Closeoutbats - A great retailer located right on the other side of the river in NJ. Can get 1-2 day delivery and always offers great deals on bats.
- Bat Digest - Independent review of bats & other softball equipment
This article has No Comments.
You must be a member of the League and logged in to
post comments. Login here.