Updated Thursday November 8, 2018 by Downtown Little League.
Players are placed into divisions based on (1) their "Little League age" which is the player's age as of December 31st of the prior completed calendar year (before the upcoming Spring season) and (2) their skill level. Social rostering requests are taken into consideration in drafting teams for the minors and juniors minors division, but are not guaranteed.
Little League Age Chart for 2019 - LINK
- Junior Minors Softball
- The Junior Minors Division is an Instructional Division for girls who are in Kindergarten through 2nd grade. A child must have turned 5 yrears old, by 12/31 preceeding the Spring season, in order to be eligible. Juniors Minors players participate in a combine on Fridays at 4PM. On Saturdays, each team has a 1 hour hard stop game followed (or preceded) by a 1 hour team practice.
- The Minors Division is an Intermediate Division for girls Little League age 7 - 11. The games are mainly kid pitch, and the players range in grades 2nd to 5th. Second grade girls who wish to play minors are expected to have 1 year of experience playing in Junior Minors Softball OR Junior Minors Baseball.
- Minors players participate in the Minors Combine Practice on Fridays at 4 PM. This is a practice for the entire Minors Softball Division as a group and is led by professional coaches. After the Combine Practice, the girls separate into a team practice. Games are typically on Friday nights or Saturdays.
- The Minors Season concludes with a Minors Division Playoff and Championship.
- Pitching distance is 35 feet. A regulation 11" ball is used.
- The Majors Division is a Competitive Division for girls who are Little League Age 9 - 12. Majors players are generally in grades 5th to 7th. Advanced level offensive and defensive concepts are introduced. Practices are Friday nights. Games are mostly Saturday with some potential Sunday dates.
- The Majors Season concludes with a Majors Division Playoff and Championship.
- Pitching distance is 40 feet. Majors use a regulation 12” ball.
- Juniors & Bigs
- The Juniors and Bigs divisions are Highly Competitive Divisions for ages 13-18. Players are 8th graders through High School Seniors. The skill-level of the players ranges from intermediate to advanced. The goal of the divisions is to prep players for softball success at the High School level and beyond.
- The Bigs division is the only division that operates with open registration, with no residency restrictions or limitations for signups.
- The players represent Downtown Little League in games against other leagues and teams in the 5 boroughs. Practices are Friday nights. Games are Saturday and or Sundays and will include travel within NYC.
- The season concludes with all city Inter-League Play-off and Championship.
ALL STAR TOURNAMENT TEAMS
We form All Star Teams from our Minors, Majors and or Juniors divisions to represent Downtown Little League in the Little League World Series tournament. The teams compete to win in Little League Manhattan District 23, the New York Little League Section 5, the New York State Championship, the East Regional, and finally the World Series Championship. We have had recent success including winning New York State championships at the 14u and 11u age levels.
SUMMER & FALL
There are plenty of opportunities to play softball in the summer & fall. Please follow the Facebook Page or feel free to inquire directly.
This article has No Comments.
You must be a member of the League and logged in to
post comments. Login here.